Milestones in the First 5 Years
Here is a simple checklist to know when to challenge your child:
1 year Pull off socks
2 years Scribbles
3 years Eats with a fork
4 years Dresses Self
5 years Ties shoes
If your child is struggling with any of these skills, I suggest you do the following:
- Practice – this might seem like common since but not in the busy life of a household with children!
- Leave extra time – plan ahead and leave time for the child to try and try and try again.
- Do not let sibling help! – instead let siblings role model for the younger child and cheer when there is success!
- Be persistent – require that the child do the skill himself and encourage but do not do it for him!
- Start letting the child help you dress them before they should be doing it themselves so that they are ready and willing to take over the task!
Your child will be so proud of himself with each success!
I truly believe that confidence is more important than intelligence. Let’s inspire, motivate, empower….build confidence!
If there is anything we, at ABC Pediatric Therapy Network, can do to help you do not hesitate to reach out to us! We are here to help “create the best life for all children”! See our website for full checklists for each age. This will help you to know when to challenge your child with each new skill. At ABC, we want to help you be the best parent that you can be. That just takes knowledge so you know when and how to help your child.